Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Is Northern California (Bay Area) swarm season over???

4145 Views 15 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  dynemd
I am curious because no calls the last 2 weeks for swarms and no activity in swarm traps anymore. Anybody in NorCal - sf Bay Area noticing the same?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,455 Posts
Prime swarm season is over, but I've caught swarms in Sep.

Hey Rob, you shouldn't need any sugar syrup to get the supers started, CA privet is just coming into bloom you might get a crop from it. Don't use an excluder until they start drawing wax in the super.

Calbears I'm in danville and have 2 new package hives we started 9 weeks ago. Both have 2nd deeps and I hope to add supers with foundation tomorrow. I was going to continue syrup to hopefully help with drawing comb. Is the flow still strong enough that I may get honey if they draw comb within the next 3-4 weeks?
Please let me know you opinion.

· Registered
4,455 Posts
According to a UC Davis entomologist we only need about 6 deep frames of capped honey going into winter. ODFrank gets a good winter eucalyptus flow where he lives. In Concord its often to cold for the bees to go find the euc trees. There is a lot of euc along hwy 680 through that area.

· Registered
4,455 Posts
I use excluders so for me, yes I'd put it in after the bees start using the super. Make sure the queen isn't up there.
Don't know if you have much CA privet in you're area, but its going into bloom all around my neighborhood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.