Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious because no calls the last 2 weeks for swarms and no activity in swarm traps anymore. Anybody in NorCal - sf Bay Area noticing the same?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
My last ones were: 5/1 bait coming into apiary, 5/20 my hive swarm, 5/25 bait in apiary, 6/9 bait in apiary I think mine that left and came back, 6/13 bait in apiary. On the bait in apiarys, I don't know if the bees were from my hives or not. The 5/1 was big and came in from the outside, but of course it could have left the day before, hung in a tree, and came home. Nothing from 5/1 -5/20.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Calbears I'm in danville and have 2 new package hives we started 9 weeks ago. Both have 2nd deeps and I hope to add supers with foundation tomorrow. I was going to continue syrup to hopefully help with drawing comb. Is the flow still strong enough that I may get honey if they draw comb within the next 3-4 weeks?
Please let me know you opinion.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calbears I'm in danville and have 2 new package hives we started 9 weeks ago. Both have 2nd deeps and I hope to add supers with foundation tomorrow. I was going to continue syrup to hopefully help with drawing comb. Is the flow still strong enough that I may get honey if they draw comb within the next 3-4 weeks?
Hey Rob congrats and welcome neighbor.... Coco county is much better for bee keepers than alameda so your in a good spot.... You will be fine with honey because last year my bees collected all the way through September.... This year my big hive is on it's 3rd honey super already and my German hive just started filling it's first honey super so about the same as your two...

·
Registered
746 Posts
Last swarm I heard of in Marin was on 6/7. Lots of stuff blooming now, with privets just starting, so I suspect a good flow for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Prime swarm season is over, but I've caught swarms in Sep.

Hey Rob, you shouldn't need any sugar syrup to get the supers started, CA privet is just coming into bloom you might get a crop from it. Don't use an excluder until they start drawing wax in the super.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Prime swarm season is over, but I've caught swarms in Sep.

Hey Rob, you shouldn't need any sugar syrup to get the supers started, CA privet is just coming into bloom you might get a crop from it. Don't use an excluder until they start drawing wax in the super.
I stopped feeding by 2 main hives over a month ago but I am still feeding the 4 nucs I have to get to draw comb faster.... Like I said my big hive is on it's 3rd honey super but my Germans just started moving into the honey super. I added a frame of honey to the super to try and force them up and I checked last night and they have eaten 1/2 the honey... They are in 2 deeps which are full so they should have ample stores right?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
>They are in 2 deeps which are full so they should have ample stores right?

Wintering in two full deeps in our climate leaves no space for incoming winter honey. Bay Area bees in suburban neighborhoods can sometimes produce a crop in winter in a honey super, or fill an upper brood chamber with that has empty space. I doubt that bees in suburban Dublin need much winter stores. Now bees surrounded by oak grasslands might.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
According to a UC Davis entomologist we only need about 6 deep frames of capped honey going into winter. ODFrank gets a good winter eucalyptus flow where he lives. In Concord its often to cold for the bees to go find the euc trees. There is a lot of euc along hwy 680 through that area.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I doubt the winter temperatures are that different from San Mateo to Concord to make much of a difference in what bees do during the winter. The importance difference is what forage they have nearby. If the bees are in suburbia or near eucs, they need little winter stores. IMHO, but I have been known to be wrong. I often remove solid slabs of honey from the two outside slots of the brood chamber both fall and February. I have a site 1.5 miles west of 280 at Highway 92, surrounded by native foliage, inundated by fog and tough winter weather, and even they winter well in a single brood chamber.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks KQ. I added a super to both hives and left off the excluders. I guess check the status in a week? If they have drawn a couple frames add the excluder?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
>They are in 2 deeps which are full so they should have ample stores right?

Wintering in two full deeps in our climate leaves no space for incoming winter honey. Bay Area bees in suburban neighborhoods can sometimes produce a crop in winter in a honey super, or fill an upper brood chamber with that has empty space. I doubt that bees in suburban Dublin need much winter stores. Now bees surrounded by oak grasslands might.
I agree just thought it was wierd that they are eating the frame of honey I put in the honey super.... I would think that they had ample store already in the 2 deeps...

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I use excluders so for me, yes I'd put it in after the bees start using the super. Make sure the queen isn't up there.
Don't know if you have much CA privet in you're area, but its going into bloom all around my neighborhood.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Maybe your bees are just relocating the honey to where they want it Calbears94.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts