Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
This is my third year bee keeping with ups and downs. Currently have 3 hives, but one of them is the oldest (still here and alive) and is the only hive that i've ever gotten to pull honey off of (1 super earlier this year).

This particular hive has been strong, with good brood patterns and capped honey. I took off a shallow a couple of months ago (they still had a second deep with good looking honey), but I checked today and that second deep looked crazy. Pictures are attached.

Should I bee worried, what's going on? Wood Bee Wood stain Design Pattern
Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect Apiary
Wood Bee Wood stain Design Pattern
Bee Honeybee Beehive Insect Apiary

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have had bees do this when given foundation later in the summer. It does not mean the hive is in trouble.

How many frames are like this?

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had bees do this when given foundation later in the summer. It does not mean the hive is in trouble.

How many frames are like this?

Tom
About half of the second deep. A few frames have drawn out comb and capped honey on one side then the other side is wonky like the pictures. On several frames they have bridged the clumpy comb over to another clumpy part of another frame.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Does the hive in question have a strong population of healthy bees? If the answer is yes I would leave it alone, as long as there are enough stores for winter.

An option with a smaller population is to reduce it to a single deep. But, I am not sure if that is reasonable to do at your location at this date.

In the spring I would scrape that comb off the frames.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the hive in question have a strong population of healthy bees? If the answer is yes I would leave it alone, as long as there are enough stores for winter.

An option with a smaller population is to reduce it to a single deep. But, I am not sure if that is reasonable to do at your location at this date.

In the spring I would scrape that comb off the frames.

Tom
This has been a very strong hive the past two years, The population is down, but all three of my hives are. I'm assuming that's just the time of year.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Very common with plastic foundation and not much flow.

Your bees should be fine if they have plenty of stores and you have treated for mites.

I would take that wonky stuff out in the spring, scrape the comb off, and re-coat any bare patches and put it back on the hive, they will then draw it out on the spring flow. Bees will draw comb on just about anything, including your hive tool if you hold is still very long while the spring flow is on, but get "creative" when it slows way down.

Peter

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I hear that's a common problem when dealing with certain kinds of plastic foundation.
I have that problem frequently. I have learned to use 10 frames in a 10 frame box. If I have drawn comb, I alternate with the plastic. Let the frames self-space. There will probably be some comb built on the side of the box where there is a gap. No big deal. Scrape it off or leave it.

In the honey supers, after the comb is drawn, you can pull one frame and use the 9 frame spacing. They will make fatter combs which are easier to uncap.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Even properly spaced they will often make this "ladder comb" on new plastic foundation. That is one of the reasons I use wax foundation in spite of the need to cross wire and the fragility. Less of this sort of stuff, although some hives make wonky comb no matter what you do.

Peter

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Even properly spaced they will often make this "ladder comb" on new plastic foundation. That is one of the reasons I use wax foundation in spite of the need to cross wire and the fragility. Less of this sort of stuff, although some hives make wonky comb no matter what you do.

Peter
Agree 100% G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts