Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of dead hives with some stores in them that I haven't disassembled and was wondering if they are a good enough advertisement for a swarm? I'm getting some bees from the wild in them.

On the other hand, when my nuc's come, I don't want that much competition from the locals. I'll restrict the entrance for the nucs but am I setting them up for a problem?

Tanya

·
Registered
724 Posts
You could be setting them up for a wax moth invasion if bees don't get there first.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
People catch swarms in deadouts all the time.
I spray my old brood comb with BT Azawaii for swarm traps, that way the moths don't destroy them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
One time I set a deadout on top of the inner cover so they could rob it out. The notch was facing up.
Checked a few days later to see if it was empty and a swarm had moved in.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you get BT Azawaii?? I looked at a couple of supply companies and couldn't find it. Is this a proper question on this forum?

Tanya

·
Registered
213 Posts
Listen to KQ6AR, use the BT. I checked a bait hive yesterday to re bait with LG Oil , I placed it last year, wax moths made a big mess . Swarm season just starting here, I caught one yesterday in a tree. Haven`t caught one in a bait hive yet, ,,,Pete,,,N3SKI

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Listen to KQ6AR, use the BT. I checked a bait hive yesterday to re bait with LG Oil , I placed it last year, wax moths made a big mess . Swarm season just starting here, I caught one yesterday in a tree. Haven`t caught one in a bait hive yet, ,,,Pete,,,N3SKI
I would like to, just don't know where to get it. Glad to hear your enthusiastic response.

Tanya

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Don't let your hopes for free bees get in the way of filling that equipment yourself. You'd kick yourself were wax moth to destroy all that comb.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I generally leave one at each yard "just in case"....have returned to find them filled. Sadly, have multiples this year.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts