Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives swarmed today while I was at work. They are located 30+ feet up a maple tree - no branches for the first 20 feet. There is no feasible way for me to get to the swarm. The swarm is good size and was still there at night fall.

Is it worth the trouble to set up an empty hive in the morning to try to capture this swarm. Has anyone had an luck setting up a hive after the horse has left the barn?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Never hived a swarm myself but maybe a box with some drawn out frames and lemon grass oil would coax them?
If you could get the queen in the box it would be a sure deal but other than that...
Sorry not of much help. Maybe some more of the exp beeks will know better...

Warm regards
mercury

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
How is the swarm supposed to know that they are supposed to go into the hive? They are GOD's bees now and you should just wish them well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
whisper to them, maybe they will come to the box. Worst case scenario is that they don't....then follow sq's idea...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I set out the equivelant to one deep box (two eight frame mediums usually) with some old comb and some lemongrass essential oil and a little queen juice (old queens in alcohol). basically I take a two ended q tip and dip one end in the lemongrass oil and the other in the queen juice and drop it in. They usually move into the box. Somtimes they don't, but I gave up climbing ladders that high just for bees...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I wait until the wife is at work and get up the tree with a box.
AB, is that really a good idea? Putting your life or limb at risk for maybe $45.00 worth of bees when you are alone and no one is there to help you shouold you fall?

That's what I meant when I wrote that they are GOD's bees and you should leave them alone. They aren't worth the risk.

Sure, putting a box out for them may work, though I haven't found to do so very often, but it is low risk to life and limb.

The sign on my Bobcat reads "Avoid Death". Good advice. Trees should come w/ that warning lalbel also.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I pulled a swarm out of a tree with swarm lure earlier this year. Once they found the box with the lure in it (you could probably try lemongrass oil...I think the lure that I had was mostly that), it took about 20 minutes for the bees to be out of the tree and all over the nuc. I came back after dark, screened them in and took them home. The queen is a beauty. Wall to wall layer!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The sign on my Bobcat reads "Avoid Death". Good advice. Trees should come w/ that warning lalbel also.
That's awesome, i need one of those for my beeyards......LOL....Avoid Death, just stay out!

·
Registered
668 Posts
I lured a swarm down this year also. Lemongrass oil and queen juice on either end of a q-tip, as Michael Bush said. I actually put out several nucs with old comb. They moved into the one that I was able to place highest (about 9 feet up), if that helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the positive suggestions. I have heard of using the method described by Michael Bush, just was not sure of the likilihood of it working.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I appreciate the positive suggestions. I have heard of using the method described by Michael Bush, just was not sure of the likilihood of it working.
You never know until you try...what have you got to lose? And by trying that method, life and limb are not at risk.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have shot swarms out of trees with a 12 gauge, shooting the limb well behind the swarm(if the limb is small). The last swarm I collected from my red maple tree, I used a swarm trap with swarm lure. I duct-taped the bucket to a long bamboo pole and shook the bees into it, then set it on the ground directly beneath the swarm. Within one hour they had all gathered in the swarm trap.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've done this several times and it works. Throw a string with a lead sinker on the end over the branch holding the swarm. Attach a rope and pull the rope over the branch. Put a hive with old comb and lemongrass scent under the cluster - on a ladder might help. Pull hard on the rope, the cluster will fall, some will fall on the frames, scouts may do the rest. Repeat until most of cluster stays on/in super. If you wait too long, they will have already found a new home. OMTCW

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
We put out several bait hives at each of our yards with the swarm lures. Works well and we've caught several of our own swarms this year along with someone else's. How do I know they were someone else's bees? We had all Russians for the first 6 months and we caught several swarms of Italians. Now we're an all Italian operation! The only good Russian is a dead Russian! I loved squishing those black azzed queens. :lookout:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Mine are pretty good workers. I have 4 now, and one I had requeen from the other because they were stupid as you mentioned, but 2 of them, man they are rockin on the cotton and i pulled 65 lbs a few weeks ago from them and I got them April 2nd as a 5 frame Nuc.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts