Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a local beekeeper with true buckfast. he's wanting to requeen all mine to buckfast. his are super gentle and he said they bulid up quick. but I been reading that they can get mean after a couple years. According to him his comes from a true strain that hasn't bee crossed with AHB sperm. His comes from a guy who got the drone sperm from the monk who made them, or what Im told.

Anyone have experience with these? Are they that much better then other stock? If so then is it not the standard bee to keep?:s:s:s:s

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There are actually TRUE Buckfast bees out there. There is a group of breeders like the ones that breed the Russian strains that are keeping the lines as pure as possible. However, you should do your homework first and foremost to make sure the Buckfast is what you really want. Each breed of bee is diff in it's own ways. Make sure you get what you want. If you are currently happy with what you have, don't worry and stick with it. If not, do your homework first.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I would bet you are close to his drone concentration areas and he wants the area to be his drones only. I don't see a lot of harm in going along with that agenda. You would be helping him and a pro who owes you a favor is never a bad thing. Go see if his bees are gentle enough to suit you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would bet you are close to his drone concentration areas and he wants the area to be his drones only. I don't see a lot of harm in going along with that agenda. You would be helping him and a pro who owes you a favor is never a bad thing. Go see if his bees are gentle enough to suit you.
well he's 15 miles driving from me. but he was putting his face on the frame full of bees showing me how gentle they are. mine are all mutt bee I pulled from houses .one I put a Russian queen in. but they seem nice enough. ill try them I guess but I don't want a hive like the one I had to requeen theyd peg you at my back door 100' from hive.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Anyone have experience with these? Are they that much better then other stock?
I have experience with only one Buckfast hive, so take this with a grain of salt. My one Buckfast hive has out produced all my other colonies. Last year was a record wet year, most colonies did not produce any surplus. My buckfast hive produced two ten frame mediums, and I left another two partial ten frame mediums above the brood chambers. Great comb builders, have been TF for three years (yes, the original queen has been superceded), low tendency to swarm, forage in wet conditions (which we have had in abundance). Great bees.

On a side note, does he sell queens?

Shane

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a side note, does he sell queens?

Shane
yes he sells them but hes waiting at the moment for more to come up. he pretty local and only has 22 hives, said next year he will be selling buckfast queens packages and nucs. but he sells out fast.

im really looking forward to getting a few queens now.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I wanted to try the buckfast, bought a bred queen, upon introduction, my local survivors said sorry about your luck. I left her in there in her cage long enough I thought. In hindsight I probably tried to convince myself they had accepted her. Should have waited another day or two I guess. Live and Learn. Guess I will have to let them rear their own, I will try another buckfast queen some time or another. Cant afford to get another right now. Bummer.:waiting:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>Anyone have experience with these? Are they that much better then other stock? If so then is it not the standard bee to keep?

I had Buckfasts for about 26 years or so. I was pleased with them. They were not miraculously better than other bees, but they were good Northern bees. They were fairly frugal and built up well at the right times. I quit when they were all Africanized to the point they weren't workable anymore.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
>Anyone have experience with these? Are they that much better then other stock? If so then is it not the standard bee to keep?

I had Buckfasts for about 26 years or so. I was pleased with them. They were not miraculously better than other bees, but they were good Northern bees. They were fairly frugal and built up well at the right times. I quit when they were all Africanized to the point they weren't workable anymore.
Michael, are you saying that your bees just got too much of the african traits from open breeding, or do you think the generally availible "Buckfasts" today have been interbred with the ahb to the point of nastiness? Thanks. G

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>Michael, are you saying that your bees just got too much of the african traits from open breeding

No.

>Michael, are you saying that your bees just got too much of the african traits from open breeding

Yes.
so yes and no?? I live in the middle of town so I don't need a bunch of AHB in my back yard. so are they going to turn?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, somehow I pasted the same thing twice... I have corrected it.

ok. well I seen his they seem very clam acting, but I was reading that some get just way to defensive to handle after a couple years. That's the main thing im worried about is the neighbors. most of them hate the bee, but only after I told them they were there. they didn't care before they knew.:scratch:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts

No.

I'm saying the new queens from the producer when mine all died, were too hot to handle.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe it was a blessing mine didnt take her, just cost me a little time thats all. Mine came from Texas so, they are probably the same source I Imagine. G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts