Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
You don't have a lot of resources to work with. A frame of emerging brood with attached bees would help them a lot, but you probably shouldn't take that from any of your packages that are just getting started. You could give them a little (like a cupful of bees from each of the other packages) and see if they can get going again... or just combine them if you don't want to mess with it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I think if you add a frame with capped and open brood...especially if you do so during the day most of the clinging bees will be young nurse bees that have not yet oriented to the original hive. The field bees will likely head back to their original home.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
Sorry for you loss, put a fork in it, it is done! Shake the bees out and let them beg into a new home. Store the equipment for replacement bees when you can find them.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sorry for you loss, put a fork in it, it is done! Shake the bees out and let them beg into a new home. Store the equipment for replacement bees when you can find them.
That pretty much sums it up.

I went over to help a neighbor who had ordered a queen and found it in the same condition. The queen would have been a waste of $. I installed an under performing nuc and we requeened it a few days later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts