Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First year bee keeper here, so I have been told not to expect any honey. My #1 hive started from a nuc later part of May is doing great. Two 8 frame deeps and the bottom is 7 1/2 frames full and the top is about 6 1/2 full. I'm in western Washington so the blackberry stickers are just about done, but my neighborhood still has 3 or 4 acres of white lawn clover blooming some of it is starting to turn brown now but the bees are going crazy for the green patches where it's still blooming. My question is would it do me any good to put a honey super on it for a few weeks and see what happens, and if I do should I use an excluder? Thanks for any replies to this. I know I have much to learn.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I don't know if it will do any good or not, but it won't do any harm. If you use wax foundation though they might eat it if you leave it on when there isn't a flow.

Generally you should not put foundation alone above an excluder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David. I was planning to use a medium box and plastic foundation. Right now I'm using plastic foundation in my brood boxes too.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a queen excluder at this point if your adding a super. It may really slow the bees down. If you want some honey maybe think about pulling a frame or two from the upper box if they have some capped off. You could scrape it off with a fork and then give it back to the bees to clean up and start filling up again. I think that's what I'd do if I knew it wasn't from syrup that I've been feeding them. This way you can get your honey and eat it to :)

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Too late for what? What is the worst thing that can happen? - the super not getting drawn? It sounds like based on the usual criteria the bees are ready for another box.

I don't see the downside. I don't use 8 frame deeps - maybe you want to think about adding another deep as part of your brood chamber? Some folks run unlimited brood chambers - don't use queen excluders - and let the queen lay where she will.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
From time to time I've added a super just before the flow ended and it barely got drawn. Not a problem. To me, the bigger problem is not having the space when they need it regardless of WHY they need it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Just south of you here by a couple hours and I just had one hive go gang busters on honey. I added wax foundation to it. I figured I may as well put it on, maybe they will draw me some comb (the key to just about everything is enough drawn comb IMHO). I should be pulling honey this week since the flow is over, it is supposed to be 90 this week so it should be pretty much all capped.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Medium super added. I think I'll leave it there as long as they're working over that clover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts