Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It will be in the 70s today but next week will have freezing temps. I know I'm not messing with the brood box, so I'm thinking it doesn't matter if I checkerboard today, but I'm not sure.

I was in the hives a few weeks ago on a warm day to rearrange frames of honey next to the brood. One hive for sure was raising brood at that time. Does drone brood matter? I didn't see any then.

It seems Walt's is dependent on redbud nectar for his area. This seems to be a best-kept secret in these parts - when the nectar flow starts, what is producing it, etc. I have learned how to somewhat discern when it starts by putting out food on my porch. When they leave it alone, I know it's in full swing.

I'm heading over to read more on Walt's op now but hoping for some insight to temps itmt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe a better way to ask this question is, is there any harm in checkerboarding right now? Since it's not disturbing the brood nest, we're simply rearranging the honey and frames up above, so it seems to me there should not be any problem. Am I correct?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
The average time for the Redbud to be in full bloom is March 23 here in Mtn. View. You can expect to see swarm cells started 2 or 3 week from when the trees are in full bloom. On these warm days while the bees are flying, you could checkerboard.

Opening the area above the brood and giving the queen paths to go up and cells to lay in is not new. Those techniques have been employed as long as I have been keeping bees, and they were taught to me by an old time beekeeper that lived here in Mtn. View. He said spreading brood with drawn comb in the brood nest after queen cells were started and had been removed, also would prevent the colony from swarming.

Much of what Mr. Wright says about swarming in his area, and it's cause, doesn't agree with what I see here. The manipulations work, but I don't agree with the reasons he gives for the cause/affect. But then, I don't think bees worry about why we think they do as they do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, AR. I'll have to watch for the redbuds now. I'm guessing we might be 2 weeks ahead of you guys. But the bees are out in force, so I think I'll go ahead and checkerboard today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, David. I gathered that by what I read on his paper. Not sure where I got the idea it was done in spring. Perhaps this winter I can get this on time!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Vitaminbee, good question need to know the same thing, I am just a few miles outside of Little Rock. I would think the Redbud bloom date would be a week earlier then AR Beekeeper. I need to get in my brood boxes and check for swarm cells. Bees were also bring lots of pollen yesterday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DJS, i'm actually an hour or so south of Little Rock, so I may even be ahead of that. I did do my checkerboard today. I saw lots of new wax, which surprises me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Without going and looking at the manuscript I think Mr. Wright says you need to checkerboard six weeks ahead of red bud bloom.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Last winter I checkerboarded the end of January because I had a good day for it. We had such an early Spring that most people checkerboarded too late towards the end of February, but of course every year is different. This seems to be the perfect week to do it this year.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you are right, nance, cuz it's a done deal and no looking back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts