Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope not. I just did two splits this week with queen cells that were just about to emerge. I am in central Ohio and you are better off than me. I did three frame splits in a five frame nuc for both. The frames I put in were very full of capped brood and that is what I am counting on to make up a good split before winter. I figure I have a couple months before weather change and can feed this fall. Also, I put my nucs in the garage when the snow and cold come and that keeps them in the 30's and out of the blasted wind. My nuc did great last year and I lost two of four large colonies.

Also, I feed hard candy all winter as weather breaks enough to slip the top cover off for a moment. They love hard candy that i make.

Good luck, Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I made 14 Nucs 2 weeks ago and put the feed on them. It wont be another week and I will add a second brood chamber to all of them. Id say go for it just be sure to feed them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go for it! Keep the Feed on and Pollen Pattys, they will fatten right out. Down here in FL ill be making Nucs all the way til October. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
I copied an old posting that I made last winter that had the recipe. Here it is and hope that it helps.

My recipe is:
2 cups white sugar
1.5 cups water
2 TBS light corn syrup (don't use dark)
1/8 tsp cream of tarter.

I bring it up to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes. At 10 minutes I use a candy thermometer to check temp. Boil until temp gets 238-240F. Take off the stove and put it on parchment paper if you want to break if for candy pieces or (and this is my preferred method) pour it on the inside surface of the inside cover. Let it harden and then replace the existing inside cover with this one. They bees eat the candy right off the inside surface of the cover. Most of mine was gone in 3 weeks of very cold weather here in Ohio.

I swear by the stuff. I used fondant last year and they did not touch it.

I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts