Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Nova Scotia in Canada. They are forecasting highs of 5-8 c for the next week or two with lows just a few degrees below zero http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CANS0142 . I was thinking about putting sugar water back on to them today or in the near future.

The girls have been out and flying a few times in the last week. I just saw 3 of them in a few minutes on my deck about 100-150 feet from the hives.

I don't mind pulling them apart to see what they have for reserves, but figured just slaping sugar water on top would be a lot less invasive at this time of year.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
It might be a little early. They don't really take to syrup until the syrup temp is fairly high. You can always try and find out....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
won't do any damage by putting it on too early?

would it be more advantages to have an external feeding station this time of year?

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
Sometimes, I get moldy syrup when I feed too early. Maybe I would have anyway but it seems a waste of effort to feed too early. I like to feed liquid when the temps are consistently above 50 degrees.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My bees here in NY stopped drinking syrup very abruptly when temps fell below 55F daytime last Fall.
I too have read that the syrup will get moldy or bacteria if left sitting too long. I'd at least change it once a week to be safe.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
How many hives do you have.

I just did the (for me) unthinkable. I need to feed. The stores are low. I have not had luck putting on feed at this time of year.
So since i have a fair number of hives, I bulk fed with rubbermaid tubs. Then they can feed when they need to. Right now it is 7C and they are feedin in the tubs. I gave the tubs a good layer of straw so they do not downed.

If you have only a few hives i have two recommedations.

1. Use quart sealers on the top of the hives, they can consume this almost daily. Put an empty super over this jar and insulation to to keep the heat in the hive, and then cover with an outer lid. That insulation will help alot.

2. If you do not have alot of hives, make boardman feeders and then use quart sealers on the bottom boards. if you can, make a metal stick to go inside the hive at the bottom and pull out any debris. Then cut some blocks to reduce the entrance and accomdate the boardman feeder.
I like the boardman feeder for this, but i do not like that i can not feed Fumagilin with this feeding since it will be exposed to sunlight...not good.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts