Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, ok i have about a 7 week old packaged hive that's just rocking,all my frames except the 2 outer ones are plumb full of young, stores, capped supplies and weigh a ton,,,should i checker the two outer frames or is it time to add a new deep,they have built out just about an inch or so down on the outer frames and small amounts of pollen here and there. Ive noticed the girls are hanging around on the front porch lately,of course the air conditioning fanning bees but just a lot of bees chilling,are they running out of room? Also,,maybe its me but i haven't seen a drone out and about for a few days...whats that all about?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
Re: Is it time too add?

Do not delay putting a second box on that colony. I would tilt the box up off the bottom board and see if you have any peanut looking cells dusted with powdered sugar hanging off the bottom of the frames. That is what swarm cells look like to me.

I like to move those outside frames in and the outside frame that is even partially drawn to the outside. That way the all the foundation in the box gets drawn. When putting on that second box, take a brood frame right out of the center and move it up into the new box and replace it with a frame of foundation or even a foundationless frame. THis will get them working in the new box.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Is it time too add?

Vance,i did have some wonky comb on the bottom of a couple of frames but i would say they were not queen cells as they were empty,im using a SBB and think that's a bee space issue.I have hive beetles but declared war on them a couple weeks back and my veggie oil contraption is working,last Tuesday i only found 3.Should i put a feeder back on for construction material.before i removed it (flow is gangbusters right now in NC) they were using about a gallon every 4 days. Thanks all

1 - 4 of 4 Posts