Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hives are just coming back from splits I made 6-7 weeks ago. In the meantime I have been doing some reading that states the broodless period after splits is a great time to treat for mites. Should I do this from now on as standard practice? I usually treat with OAV. I figured when the hives were weakened it would be a bad time to introduce unnecessary stress. What would you do?

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Treating with OAV while a hive is broodless is the preferred time because OAV cannot penetrate the cappings. But if you split 6-7 weeks ago, you missed the boat. You can still use OAV, but you will have to do a series now. J

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Around day 28 you start checking for eggs. Once you have eggs and young larvae, around day 35, treat immediately.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Around day 28 you start checking for eggs. Once you have eggs and young larvae, around day 35, treat immediately.
Thanks for the timeline. I am going to make a note of that and act accordingly from this point on :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
You have the window between where all the previous queens brood has emerged, and none of the new queens larvae has been capped. Zero mites are safe under cappings. That is when oxalic acid vapor or drizzle is near 100% fatal to Mr. Varroa!

If the weather is perfect and the new queen is quick on her feet the window of opportunity may not be open many days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts