Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Melbourne by the sea the seasons are "up the spout", we have just had the dryest June since records began. I checked through four hives this week that had the same features.

1. Wall to wall honey above the brood nest.
2. Drone brood.
3. Plenty of worker brood and pollen.

These three points along with the fact that I sat outside with my cuppa and cake in my shirt watching the drones fly got me to thinking about the way my grandfather tested for spring in Yorkshire, "if you can sit on the ground one your bare arse its spring". The shortest day has passed so I have checkerboarded the supers to be on the safe side.

Its a sad fact that climate change is here I think beekeepers notice it more than most.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hello Alex...I worked in a shop for 35 years as a weldor and only in the last 5 years started keeping bees. Yes as beekeeper I am more aware of all of the natural goings on around me and my bees. I have a new appreciation of nature and the earth as it was created. I feel more alive today than ever before. I honestly dont know how I lived punching a clock being told when to take a break or have lunch or go home...lol...I appreciate every new plant or blossom I identify. To watch the bees go about their businessand try to learn something new everyday...Rick

1 - 2 of 2 Posts