Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple hundred bees from my package have left the hive they were placed in to roost in a swarm trap I have located a few hundred yards away. It's only been one day & I have yet to investigate the swarm trap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THE Michael Bush responded to my thread? Thanks for info/reply. It did look like at least half of the package was no longer in the hive. And the swarm trap is busy with activity. I have an extra top bar. Would it be possible to just rehive the trap in the new top bar?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If the swarm trap has frames in it, I would let the bees settle in for a few days to let the queen have time to mate (in case she is a virgin). If the swarm trap does not have frames and the top bar has (or can be made to have) a solid, rather than screened, bottom, it would be a close call, but I would still wait a few days. If the swarm queen has had time to mate, when you hive the swarm, I would put queen excluder over the openings in the top bar until the earlier of 4 days or the bees start bringing in pollen. (I'm not big on screened bottoms.) If Michael weighs in, obviously, listen to him and not me. Best wishes for success. David

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
>Would it be possible to just rehive the trap in the new top bar?

A lot of things are theoretically possible. But they have chosen an abode and they may not agree to it... I agree with Reverderwent if you have frames in it, let them settle in and get some brood going and then move them. If they don't have frames, then you need something in there so you don't have to do a cutout later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thank you both for the info. The trap does have top bars. I'll let ' em do their thing for awhile. My main worry was if they'd have the numbers to build up enough for over wintering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts