Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still learning. I understand less is more for winter prep. I have 2 deeps and a medium right now. Medium is full but only about half the frames are capped. The rest of the frames have nectar but are uncapped. I'm in No. IL and it's starting to get chilly. A warm couple of days coming up but that should do it for the fall.

Is it too late to try to condense the hive into 2 deeps? How much of a problem are uncapped frames this late in the season?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't think that the uncapped nectar will make much of a difference in overwintering success. I would position the capped frames over the cluster & go into winter like that. I'd do a mountain camp with sugar as insurance for starvation & put a moisture board/quilt box over the hive to absorb any excess moisture during winter. If your mites are controlled, you should be fine in the spring.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
there is a good chance if there is room below they will move the uncapped into the deeps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks. I feel a little better now. I do use a moisture board and maybe I'll add a quilt box. Thanks for the help.

B

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
If I were in your physical shoes I wouldn't be worried about that set of problems. Love the #2 post. I would be focusing on making sure mites are devastated and you have a plan for insulation/ventilation as your last post indicates. I use a vivaldi board setup. Getting mine ready today along with feeding shim & burlap interior. The feeding shim allows me to look at the bees directly and the #8 hardware cloth keeps them from flying out when I check on them. Just love that comfort. Highly recommended for new people.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a Formic Pro treatment in early fall and had no ill effects, contrary to what other people have experienced. Practically zero mite drop since treatment. 1 or so every 3 to 4 days. I am worried (less so now) about too much space for the cluster. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6a 3rd yr 5 production hives 1/ 2 q resource hive
467 Posts
PS- Circling back to say this- I rely heavily on instinct in decision making. Bees do love to be more compact. Less to do and less to control. If your instincts are still screaming at you to reduce down to 2 deeps then by all means do it no matter what we say. As long as you're at the weight requirement for your area they can and will winter over. What you can do is take the extra box off (store the frames in totes for protection) and keep it in inventory for spring feeding if necessary. I find that if a decision is still nagging me after a few days to pay attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts