Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm getting a package of bees in a few days; I have a second hive box ~ 8' from the new hive and I've put some lemongrass oil inside, along with old brood comb, hoping bees might just move in.

Question: If I were to put swarm lure in the empty box, would that negatively affect my new box of bees in the new hive?

Thanks, All!

·
Registered
352 Posts
So what the swarm lure actually is, is it mimics the navigation pheromone that bees use to find the entrance to their hives. I would be wary about putting that stuff next to a new hive that has not firmly oriented to the spot you place them in as it could split returning bees between the boxes, and thats no good. I would hold off on deploying the swarm trap or place it MUCH further away than 8 feet.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
I agree. No sense in confusing the bees as they are getting established. Move the bait hive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!! That's what I feared.

I just read that swarming here, in the Willamette Valley, mostly happens in April, May, and June.

I'll wait 'til the end of May to put the swarm lure in the other box, unless something moves in, first.

Again,, Thank You!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I place baited boxes next to and on top of hives all the time. Bees are smarter than we are. Bait hives right next to each other can confuse bees.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm just learning here, but I don't understand why having the bait hive next to a parent hive would cause confusion with the foragers. I assume they would soon realize that they have no queen with them (and no prospect of getting one) and head back to the parent hive. Is that mistaken?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,517 Posts
You guys missed the point. He does not have a parent hive or established colony. Installing a package next to a bait hive is like having two bait hives next to each other. Once the package is oriented to their new home, puting a bait hive a few feet away won't be a problem. IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys missed the point. He does not have a parent hive or established colony. Installing a package next to a bait hive is like having two bait hives next to each other. Once the package is oriented to their new home, puting a bait hive a few feet away won't be a problem. IMO.
Correct!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts