Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 colonies that were new splits this year. It is late August in Maine and I would like to feed them as they are very light on honey stores. I am in the process of switching over to natural bee keeping methods and understand the bees can become stronger/more resistant if you feed them honey as opposed to sugar syrup. I think this is my understanding from Michael Bush's site. I had a five gallon bucket of crystallized honey that I heated in a glass jar in a water bath. The temperature was 140-150F. Is this safe to feed to the bees? I do know there is some issue with Hydroxymethyl furfural. I would love a few opinions..... thanks... Marcy

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Did it come from the store or your bee's. The 140-150 part is worrisome. I typically never go over 100. If it was crystallized I would have just fed it as is to them. Would have been great to spread over the top bars they would have eaten it up just fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did it come from the store or your bee's. The 140-150 part is worrisome. I typically never go over 100. If it was crystallized I would have just fed it as is to them. Would have been great to spread over the top bars they would have eaten it up just fine.

Hi EastSide
Yes it was from my apiary. I have more I could just spread over the top bars. By worrisome I am assuming you mean you have concern about Hydroxymethyl furfural? Thank you for the suggestion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts