Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too new to even know if this is a silly question or not so please bear with me.
I checked on my hives today and had to cut out some cross comb.
In doing so, I noticed that they are storing the sugar water that I've been feeding.
Is this to be expected?
They are also drawing out comb at a good rate.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Any food source, be it nectar or sugar water, if in excess of the daily food requirements will be stored in the comb and capped.
Dave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
I understand that excess will be stored.
Does this mean that I'm feeding too much sugar?
Does it mean that I don't need to feed at all?
Or does it mean that they are doing just what they are supposed to; storing whatever food is available (in this case sugar) for winter?

I guess that I thought that there wouldn't be "excess" as long as they had empty frames to draw with comb.

I should have clarified that these are nucs started at the beginning of June.

·
Super Moderator
11,180 Posts
Bees aren't likely to draw comb just to leave it empty. They are more likely to only draw comb when they have something to use it for (brood/pollen/nectar).

As to whether you should continue to feed, that depends on how much comb they have filled already. (Once you tell us that, then we can argue/discuss:rolleyes: as to whether that amount is enough. :D)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that depends on how much comb they have filled already.
Filled or drawn?
Each hive has one deep totally drawn and one medium drawn to about 75%.
The next time I visit, I'll get a better idea of how much comb is actually occupied.
It's probably about time to add a second medium huh?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I should have clarified that these are nucs started at the beginning of June.
Yes, they will store sugar water. Around this time of year (late summer) there may be a dearth of nectar. If you have a healthy hive and you do not feed during a dearth, the bees will use up the nectar they have stored in the comb. Last year I had a very healthy hive. The queen had moved to the upper box, and those frames had a lot of brood with some stores. The lower box, however, had fully drawn comb which the bees had emptied of stores. In late August I started feeding 2/1 sugar to water. In about a month the bees had refilled the comb and were ready for winter. This hive came through this nasty winter quite well.

Hope this helps.

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts