Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never looked at them at night. I went out there about 745 the bee are clogging up the door way and bunch on bottom board. This is my swarm that took two deep 10 frame boxes to fit in. Do i need to add another they been in there 12 day and went throu 1qt a day sometimes more sugar water.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have found that some of my survivor colonies will pack themselves into the entrance at night, I breed from these because I think it is a defensive tactic against pest entering the hive, with my screen bottoms it most likely doesn't help with the SHB but should keep out wax moths.
As for your question about adding another box, it is possible, but I doubt it after only twelve days.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If your swarm literally filled two ten frame deeps and you have added 3 gallons of syrup in twelve days, at least add a super so they dont fill up your deeps and restrict your queens laying. They will move it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It full on the bottom and about 3/4 top. I have not checked them in about a week. They had drawn out some on about 9 outa 10 on bottom and center 3 on top last i check but had to back them up a lil cause wax pushed out of split frame. bees welded them togeather fast. So I had to cut and fix.

I was reading that it may be a defensive trate. Kind of like corking a wine bottle strategy i guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts