Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You should have a city web site that has the zoning code. Check for farm animals, livestock, chickens, bees etc. Most cities in FL never thought to address bees so you might be good to go. BTW, I know someone who kept several hives in Coral Springs for several years. :D

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If you can, call city hall, find out who would have codes re: beekeeping, then call that office and see if you can get a copy. Go get it. Same for county. Don't volunteer anything, esp. name/address... LOLOL that way if there's nothing there, you get the bees, they don't know who you are. Yes, I'm a little paranoid...bureaucrat's favorite word is "no."

I had a privacy fence, two hives of bees in my back yard in West Palm Beach in the '80's... across the street neighbor had a thing against me, called the cops. They came out, saw the hives, the wooden privacy fence, saw the flight of the bees up and away, wished me well and left. Today mention managed colonies are the first line of defense against Africanised bees.
You should have no problem.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Codes enforcement has fairly broad powers to remove any situation they consider a nuisance. If a neighbor files a complaint that is "just cause" to pursue nuisance. The Florida State Beekeepers Association is working to introduce legislation to make it legal anywhere in the state overriding local ordinances.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Codes enforcement has fairly broad powers to remove any situation they consider a nuisance. If a neighbor files a complaint that is "just cause" to pursue nuisance. The Florida State Beekeepers Association is working to introduce legislation to make it legal anywhere in the state overriding local ordinances.
Thanks, I didn't know about the possible override.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Apparently it's legal in Ft. Lauderdale, as all i could find under the codes search was the following:

Sec. 6-12. - Beekeeping restrictions.

(a)

Flight path control of bees. It shall be unlawful for a beekeeper to fail to control the flight path of the bees on the beekeeper's premises so that as a result the flight path of the beekeeper's bees interferes with the use and enjoyment of adjoining property.

(b)

Availability of water on the premises. It shall be unlawful for any such person to fail to have an adequate supply of water available on the premises for the bees. The water supply shall be in the vicinity of the beehives and shall be closer to the beehives than any water on adjoining property. The water shall be available year-round.

http://www.municode.com/library/clientCodePage.aspx?clientID=2247

·
Registered
869 Posts
Probably more legal than having 25 colonies in my back yard. All I can say is my neighbors next door are VERY understanding, and are actually interested in it, plus I am sure that I will be handing out jars of honey to my surrounding neighbors. I've been so busy, I bet I put 30 to 40 hours a week into beekeeping on top of my reg 40 hours per week job.

My neighbors should consider themselves lucky. Most people have to worry about living next door to the crazy cat lady that has 25+ cats, instead they got me! ;) Think of all the stories they will have to share at the retirement home someday, "and one time that crazy bee guy next door did......"

C2

·
Registered
869 Posts
That is good. If you are ever confronted, just show that you have provided water and safe flight ops.

Does my own 15,000 gallon pool count as a watering hole for them? Lol.

I just got back from Stockton, the call from last night turned out to just be a swarm hangin on the wall. They had just moved in to the apt and noticed the bees. I had my bee gear, a spray bottle with sugar/water in it and my brush. Just gave them a good spritzing and swept em into Costco Baby wipes box. Left the box there for 90 mins, got lunch and came back...small patch of bees with mayb 20 to 30 bees in it. Sealed the first box, and got a smaller box, a little more spritzing and swept them into the 2nd box and took em home. A quick D. Coates nuc later (thanks again D!), a jar of sugar/water on top and they seem to be happy.

C2

·
Registered
869 Posts
Grrrr, just a couple of hours after that posting, I gotta call from a friend that is on the local PD. Said the person around the corner can't enjoy their pool cause the guy around the corner has bees and they are visiting it. Being the guy around the corner and that I have been to busy getting bees, that I am outta space on my side yard and there are 4 (only 2 up to a few hrs ago, it was 1 til yesterday) out in front of my house by the garage. I guess the outta sight outta mind thing is worth a ton, cause now they have a place to point a finger at and say "they're his!" Though I can't get the little GPS units on the bees legs to prove if they are or are not. Not trying to be a pill, but so be it, I'll move some outta here so they can't complain, though they are off the honey list! Wait, they were never on it. While my buddy can't find any city ords that say I can't have them, I figure it's only a matter of time til someone slaps the "nuisance" label on them. Hmmmm, does that work both ways? Perhaps their kids yelling, screaming and slashing in the pool is a nuisance for me!? :lookout: I have...ok, do you really want to know how many here? Let's just say more than 10. I know, I know, let the flames come...Anyhow, I have some nucs, some singles including 3 or 4 that are ready to go to doubles, 1 double currently, 2 triples, and 2 quads. The city bees are smoking my bees in the country, cause no one is watering anything in the country right now. I guess what I am wondering is what would you leave behind, and what would you move out? My thoughts are the nucs and weaker singles need to be close by to stay on top of feeding. the trips and quads are booming enough that I expect a very good year off them, so kinda don't want disrupt them since they obviously have a great source going on. The main thing I will do is move the ones off the driveway outta here to take away from the casual observation.

Thoughts?

C2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.