Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first hive. My 1st deep super has 7 1/2 well drawn out frames, 1 that is 1/2 drawn out and 1 that is just starting.

I took the end frame that they are just starting on, moved the secon frame into it's position and replace the 90% undrawn frame in it's position.

On the other end, the end frame was 60-70% drawn out so I simply turned it around so the drawn side fased the wall and the undrawn side faces the inner box and the well drawn out frames.

So basically, out of 10 frames, I have 7 1/2 to 8 frames that are drawn out. Now that I've reposition the slightly or undrawn ones, should I wait for them to get 1/2 drawn, or do I have enough drawn out now to add my second super?

I am in SE New Hampshire if that matters at all.

PS: No matter how careful I am, I seem to crush 2 to 4 of my girls every time I replace the inner cover or outter cover. Any way around this?

Thanks!
Bob

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd say your timing is right for,NH,with that many frames filled I'd add another super.
As far as killing afew bee's you may blow smoke across the top to run them back down,But it is hard to keep from killing some of them.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Hey Bob, Your timing is right for the next super. My comment is on flipping frames. You may want to do a search on this list for Housel positioning. Some swear by it some say it's not worth the trouble. Just thought you should know about it.

Hawk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are the frames drawn and filled or just drawn?

If they're drawn and filled than add the second super.

If they're just drawn then wait a bit longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts