Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a lot of information about AFB even here in South Africa where we had or are having an outbreak of this disease. But nowhere in the literature does it say that the honey is affected and that it is not fit for human consumption.

From information that I can find for our local conditions the law is to destroy everything, as it seems to be the case in most countries and/or states in the USA. I find the opening post of this thread very interesting http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234492&highlight=contaminated+honey. Is this something that one could experiment with?

I have no hives at this time, but want to learn as much as possible before committing to this fascinating hobby.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I assume then that the recommendation to destroy everything is to prevent the honey from being fed to bees and/or prevent robbing?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Yes, AFB spores will be found in honey from infected hives at a higher rate than spores found in honey from noninfected hives.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
While it would be safe for human consumption my understanding is that you would NOT want to feed it to healthy bees.

There's also the issue of extraction equipment and the spread of spored from diseased frames to non diseased frames that are subsequently exposed to equipment.....the spread of the disease is very easy through diseased equipment that is put on other colonies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts