Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be ordering some bee suits shortly and they come in a cotton/polyester 50/50 blend, or nylon. I live at the NJ shore and it's not uncommon for the summers here to get hot and humid. Which do you experienced beeks recommend for hot weather and general comfort?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm in a similar climate, and I have a heavy all-cotton suit. I don't wear it often, but when I have to in the summer, it is misery. I sweat a lot to start with, and add to that a cotton suit in 30C+ (85F+) temperatures at 80%+ humidity in the sun and I'm just miserable. I wish I had spent the extra money for one of the synthetic vented suits.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I prefer a tripple layer suit to a cotton suit if I had a choice. I'm a bit 'oversized' and I can get sweating pretty good in a cotton suit and the bees CAN sting through a single layer cotton suit if it gets tight up against you such as where it bends (especially if I remove my shirt due to the heat). Normally I go without them or just a veil, but there are times when you need one. The drawback is of course washing them, I am not going to throw the tripple layered jacket/suits in the washing machine (even if I remove the veils) (nor the vented cotton ones for that matter) whereas a straight cotton one you could. The cotton ones are cheaper of course.

Tripple layered suit such as Humble Bee 420-L Aerated Beekeeping Suit or Humble Bee 320-L Aerated Beekeeping Jacket from the advertiser just over ----> or on Amazon. (just pointing out the material)

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
All cotton would be my first choice, followed by a high-cotton content blend. All nylon would be my last choice for coolness. Nylon is usually a nearly unbreathable fabric.

The triple- layer ventilated garments are good- as long is there some air flow, even just a light breeze. In calm humid conditions, however, they are a misery. Evaporative cooling through the mesh that makes up the assmemled thick layers is what makes them work. The only saving grace to them is that they are so sting-proof that, I can wear just my underwear underneath them.

The nature of triple layer ventilated garment's outer layer makes it less sturdy than regular woven cloth.

I find a fencing style veil cooler that a veil with a hat band.

And the kind of gloves makes a huge difference. Bare hands are far the most comfortable than either leather or nitrile gloves.

Nancy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just going by the ones I saw on Mann Lake. I think I'll go with the cotton/poly style. Thank you all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts