Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years back I had some pollen sub harden up in the hives. From what I've recently read it looks like Canola oil is often used. I also remember reading that coconut oil had some benefits as well.

From some recent posts, I've seen that about 1 1/3 ounces of oil per pound of dry mix has been used.

Is coconut oil part of anyone's patty mix?

Otherwise, is there a particular mix of oils that are considered to be beneficial?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes two parts coconut one canola and one part liquid lecithin. The canola is for the 24-methalcolesterol

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I reckon the best is to mix pollen with honey as a supplement. Honey prevents the hardening of the mixture, too. If using oil, use it in drops only or it can turn into a mess.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Is anyone including coconut oil in their pollen sub mixture?

I like to mix lots of small batches of pollen sub patties, about a hand-held plastic mixing bowl at a time (about six to eight pounds). I usually use predominantly canola oil or sometimes with some vegetable or corn oil, though after thinking about it, with this thread, I will probably try mixing in some coconut oil, to see what happens.

When I'm mixing a batch of pollen sub for patties, my first ingredient is granulated dry sugar, then, before any other ingredients, I add the oil to the dry sugar, I add enough oil so the sugar is thoroughly moistened by the oil, then I blend in all the other dry ingredients, coating all the dry ingredients with the sugar/oil mix, if the oil I previously added to the sugar isn't enough to slightly, but thoroughly oil dampen all of the dry ingredients, I add a little more oil, about a teaspoon at a time, until all the dry ingredients are oil dampened. Finally, I add some warm, 1:1 sugar syrup, until the mixture takes on the texture of slightly soft cookie dough. A few hours later, the mixture will stiffen up - some. If it stiffens up more than I'd like, I mix in more syrup, until it is again a little softer than I'd like the final product. It will stiffen some more as it ages. I can then refrigerate the batch, for later use, or form it into patties between sheets of waxed paper. Pre-formed patties can be kept, together, in sealed plastic bags, and refrigerated or frozen, for later use. If I've refrigerated a large quantity, before forming it into patties, I can soften the batch by heating it in my microwave oven, for a minute, or two, before forming it into patties. Once made into patties, and placed on the hives, these almost always remain soft and moist, until eaten by the bees, unless the bees decide not to eat them completely - which some hives usually do. However, most hives, that are healthy enough to begin growing well, usually consume the patties quite well. It can be an indicator of hive health/condition, if a half pound or one pound patty isn't consumed well, in a week or two. Some colonies, especially those used to grow queen cells, usually consume a one pound patty, in just a few days, or even overnight. Which is also often true of any colony that has begun growing significantly. I have several hives that are almost solid brood in six or more frames. Those, even though they're bringing in lots of pollen, from diverse sources, will consume the patties very quickly.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use vegatable oil
Is "Vegetable oil" normally soy oil?

And does soy oil provide something that is lacking in Canola and/or corn oil?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pollen is high in lecithin the liquid lecithin I use is 60% lecithin 40% soy oil. Coconut oil is high In louric fatty acid

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I use vegatable oil because its what we have laying our the house. I don't use much, just enough help keep the patty moist, something like 3 tablespoons per pound of finished mega bee and syrup patty.

Maybe I should do more research before I make the anothing batch, i was counting on mega bee supplying most of the nutritional content.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts