Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first bee hive kit and I want to paint the outside of the brood boxes and supers. I know I need exterior paint and that I should only paint the outside of the boxes, but I don't know if it makes a difference if I use acrylic or latex paint.
I bought exterior acrylic paint before I thought about the possibility of it mattering.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that makes me feel better! I didn't want to start off by killing all my bees in the first few days (when they arrive).

·
Registered
403 Posts
100% acrylic (water borne) is almost always better product than typical "latex", but honestly, for bee boxes, whatever is available and priced right is just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Acrylic is just fine. Actually, probably better than latex.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,322 Posts
I did not see where you bought an oil based primer to apply first. I tried the 2 in 1 paints for the first years but found that the paint on the primed hives is in better shape for the same age. I would also use a semi gloss or satin finish, flat looks dingey after a few years. Truth though is I will buy whatever exterior grade paint the big box stores have in the oops markdown section.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Good point on the oil based primer. I only use oil based primer since you can put oil or latex on top and it gets in the wood a lot better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts