Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter keeping bees. When I began winterizing my two hives last November, I took a lot of honey from my strong hive and gave it to my weaker one as a last ditch effort to keep them alive. I ended up losing my weaker hive to the cold (and possibly condensation), but my strong hive appears to be doing very well. Now I'm paranoid that I took too much honey from the strong hive and I want to give the honey back to them as soon as possible. It is supposed to get up to almost 60 degrees this Saturday in my area. I know the bees will fly at around 50, but is it still okay to break the propolis seal in order to give them additional frames full of honey? I have an inner and outer cover, so the seal I'll be breaking is the inner cover which makes me think there won't be an issue with draftiness.

Also, should I expect temperamental bees... generally speaking? I know all bees are different, but what can I expect in your opinion?

·
Registered
387 Posts
They'll be testy but yes you can get in the hive. I wouldn't mess around in the brood nest but you can definitely add frames of honey.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I get in a 58 all the time. Here I inspect bees bees every month most years. Tennessee gets enough warm weather I can ddo that keep your inspection s short and if they have larvae very short. But do inspect them beekeepers that know hoe the bees are doing can take action to prevent needless loss of colonies

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hello from a fellow Utahn! No advice on your bees (I haven't even gotten bees yet!), but I can't wait for the warmer weather this week!

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
If all I was going to do was put honey on (and assuming I hefted the hive and it's light), there probably is no temperature I wouldn't pop the top, put the box of honey on and close it up. At 58 F, there isn't much I wouldn't do other than leave a frame of brood out too long by itself.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Mike Bush--:thumbsup:

At certain times of the season I wished it were 58F when I was in the hive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As far as breaking the seal between boxes, I don't really worry about that heat-wise. My only concern is having the top box slide off later in snow and wind. Rather than add hive staples, I just bring my battery operated driver and screw a small "tab" of scrap wood to the lower box letting it stick up enough to hold the upper box in place. That way you can still easily have access again and the top box will stay put.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts