Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a promo email for iron to add to feed. They say your hives will last the winter. Has anyone ever heard of this. It expensive. If you have heard of it can you use iron supplements from the drug store instead?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
The only iron deficiency I've ever seen in a bee hive is in the nucs that I glued only and didn't nail....

deknow

·
Registered
464 Posts
Write the vendor and ask for the scientific literature references that will support the use of iron supplements. Post the information you get back on BeeSource.

There may be good information that many of us are unaware of, but without peer-reviewed data testing the value of iron supplementation that we can read and evaluate, I'm not willing to lay my money down.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
From the Science-in-water.com website: "By administering an iron supplement, the beekeeper does not have to take other measures to combat the Varroa mite."

Oh boy, we're saved.

Wayne

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We're saved! I know. Sounds too good to be true. Science in water .that's the one. They want €48. It says the hives survive the winter...in england. Not sure I want to fork out the dough for snake oil.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
There is a equine iron suppliment called Red Cell. It's a liquid. I suppliment my bees with vinegar, vitamins and electrolytes, but am extremly careful with what I use and the dosage.
I tried a bit of Red cell in syrup and set it out late summer /during dearth as an open sampler invitation. They wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Frankly, I'm concerned about all this iron affecting the range and carrying capacity of our bees. There is a good reason that the aircraft industry focused on light-weight materials like aluminum and alloys. Flight is critical to the survival and success of our hives.

Just sayin...

Wayne

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
why not just place a mineral salt block where they have access and let the bees choose what they need?
How well does that work in the Big Apple when they can choose what they need? How well do you think it would work for your kids if they could choose what they need? Probably not as good as the bees but even bees don't make the right choices. I don't feed my bees anything because I don't want bees that make the wrong choice. However I would like to know what iron is suppose to do for a bee that doesn't have a circulatory system?

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
I was wondering what iron had to do with bees, and somewhat to my surprise, there is actually a study on just that.

I did not download and read the full [free] document, but here is the abstract. (note the highlighted part)
The development of iron granules in honey-bee tissues was investigated using both anatomical and analytical methods. Iron granules are present only in the trophocytes of post-eclosion adults and have the same elemental composition as those in foraging adults. The granules increase in both size and number during ageing. Iron levels in developing worker honey-bees were measured by proton-induced X-ray emission spectroscopy. The rate of iron accumulation was directly related to iron levels in the diet, and the iron can be obtained from pollen and honey, both major food sources of the bee. In adults, the iron content of the fat body reached a maximum level (2.4 +/- 0.15 micrograms mg-1 tissue), regardless of the amount of iron available for ingestion. [HIGHLIGHT]Maximal iron levels are reached at the time when honey-bee workers commence foraging behaviour, suggesting that iron granules may play a role in orientation. [/HIGHLIGHT]Alternatively, accumulation of iron in granules may be a method of maintaining iron homeostasis.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3805999

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Not too surprising that iron, as well as a host of other minerals, is important in honeybee nutrition. My Snake-oil flag went up when I read the company's allusion to their supplement as being the cure for the Varroa mite problem.

Wayne

·
Registered
614 Posts
How well does that work in the Big Apple when they can choose what they need? How well do you think it would work for your kids if they could choose what they need? Probably not as good as the bees but even bees don't make the right choices. I don't feed my bees anything because I don't want bees that make the wrong choice. However I would like to know what iron is suppose to do for a bee that doesn't have a circulatory system?
Ace I must admit that your reference to the "Big Apple" makes no sense to me,but then that's true of a lot of your posts. The same might be said of your comparison of bees and children.Everyone here knows that bees are smarter than children and most of their parents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts