Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do another mite count and want to slide the board in in the morning but I also have to go in to the hives tommorow for something else....

I would think, if I go in and work the hive WHILE taking a mite count , the extra activity will adversely SKEW the results because there will be a greater unnatural mite drop-detrius drop-etc....

So I should wait until I do the tasks before i begin the test....

makes sense right?

v

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well not in favor of anything...if the results are skewed one way or the other then the test and the results are invalid...garbage in garbage out....
So, if I am moving frames and doing stuff there will be more crap falling on the IPM board- Am I seeing this right?

Right, but it will not skew the results in favor of the mites.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
If you are doing a mite count to be comparative with another one, yes you will skew results. If you are doing it to count mites, do it! Do another one in a few days and compare. Different weather conditions and normal hive occurrences can also cause big variances in sticky board indications. If you are splitting hairs I think there are more accurate methods.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am just reluctant to kill bees to make a count....I think it is 1/2cup of bees=300 dead bees with the alcohol method.....or ether method....I dont understand what you mean by splitting hairs but I would think you'd want the best empirical data to decide whether to treat or not to treat...this is a sizable investment to most, in time and mooolah! Thanks!!! :)
If you are doing a mite count to be comparative with another one, yes you will skew results. If you are doing it to count mites, do it! Do another one in a few days and compare. Different weather conditions and normal hive occurrences can also cause big variances in sticky board indications. If you are splitting hairs I think there are more accurate methods.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Splitting hairs~ decimal point accuracy. I was just thinking that the sticky board mite drop is not up to doing fine comparisons. If it happened to show a bit higher drop after working the hive that would only expose mites whose absence could otherwise be lulling you into a false sense of security! ;) I think knowing your mite level is excellent information whether or not you choose to treat. Most people find not treating requires deep pockets.;)
I see from another post you have found out about the sugar roll method which is more accurate and not lethal to the bees.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAH MAN-and I am hot on the trail for some white containers and a fat mason jar!!! You know the IPM board at this time of year , even for 3 days , makes my gherlz uncomfortable in that hot box, so this is a great alternative and their siblings won't hate me for apicide!!! THANKS!!! headed to woodcraft for a zero clearance insert for table saw....
Splitting hairs~ decimal point accuracy. I was just thinking that the sticky board mite drop is not up to doing fine comparisons. If it happened to show a bit higher drop after working the hive that would only expose mites whose absence could otherwise be lulling you into a false sense of security! ;) I think knowing your mite level is excellent information whether or not you choose to treat. Most people find not treating requires deep pockets.;)
I see from another post you have found out about the sugar roll method which is more accurate and not lethal to the bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts