Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up two hives and got packages installed. When I bought my WW, I ordered IPM screened bottom boards, along with Dadant-style entrance reducers (metal with the 8 holes). Only after I set up the hive did I realize the bottom board (non-reversible as it's got a pan) is set up with a 3/8" entrance. Not a huge problem this time of year, but the entrance reducer is designed for a 3/4" entrance, so it's mostly useless.

I'm in SE PA, and all the hives I've seen around here have had 3/4" entrances with reducers (either wooden or metal). I'm just wondering what others with zone 6-type weather use? Seems kind of strange to me that this bottom board would come standard with a 3/8" instead of a 3/4" as the 3/4" seems much more flexible.

I'm considering building up the 3/8" sides to 3/4" so I can use my entrance reducer as needed come fall/winter. Thoughts?

-Pete

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pete,
I'd do the build up. It is what I'm going to do in a similar situation.

I assembled a bottom board that had 3/8 on one side and 1/2 on the other. It came with a thin board to put on the front underside that was, 3/8 X 1/2. So I assumed that the up side was 3/8, bee space don't cha know, and glued the piece in. Later when I was setting a box on it and tried to put in the reduceer, I realized I got it backwards. The reducer is 1/2 X 1/2. Sooo, I'm going to make some shims to glue on to bring the space up to 1/2.

Lesson learned, don't assume.

Pugs

·
Registered
329 Posts
you can always just lay a block of wood in front of most of the entrance, and tap a nail in the bb against the block to hold it against the hive

justgojumpit

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I've been thinking about making all my entrances on my SBB 3/8". Its not like I need the extra ventilation due to my SBB and I think 3/8" is still enough space for the bees not to get backed up too much during the flow. I do have an upper entrance as well.

Dan

·
Registered
457 Posts
Just,

Good idea. While I was driving around this morning, I thought why don't you just make another reducer? It would be alot easier. Your idea is even easier yet.

Thanks!

Pugs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts