Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beekeeper here. Is it better to keep the ipm board in or out during summer for a screened bottom board? I have read some conflicting things, and was just wondering if I can confuse myself even more by asking the question here. But seriously, I welcome opinions about this. I think I read in one place that keeping the board in is helpful to the bees in maintaining humidity levels in the hive. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
650 Posts
MB I like the board out as soon as it warms up and as soon as the colony is in the 2nd deep hive body. Mine don't care for the open bottom when they are in only one deep and have absconded at some points. I also think it helps with the evaporation of the nectar and a few varroa have been seen to actually fall through the screen! Good luck,

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
on my top bar hive, I keep mine in all summer long. I do have 3 holes for the bees to come and go and vent the place. I have found the IPM board an excellent spot to sprinkle diatomaceous earth on so when the larvae of the SHB falls through, they die. Keeps the bees from coming into contact with it and it's rain proof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts