Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still don't have a solution on feeding my future nucs. I'm thinking on putting a small hole into the cover and invert a plastic pet in it. When not feeding I would still be able to leave the cap inside the hole. Anyone using this way of feeding? Does it work?

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I do not use that method, but it should work. I have used the plastic chicken feeders which I sit in an empty supper above the brood for years.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still at the office doing the thinking :D that's why I'm asking. I also saw that Randy Oliver uses sm. like that on feeding a protein mixture that's not as fluid as sugar syrup.
Drink Table Lager Beer glass Pint
I will try it when I get back home. If I can find the right size drill, I think would make a good feeder for my nucs. I'm not yet sure if having flexible walls will accelerate the dripping of the syrup.

I'm thinking on using migratory covers with this kind of feeding system for the future. I'm still doing a lot of thinking and considering all the alternatives. I really appreciate the simple and effective ones. During the winter I will just put a styrofoam board upon them to avoid condensation and a round hole on the top of the hive as Michael Palmer uses. I bought a drill the size of a wine cork :) so I can easily cover the hole when I don't need it without having to build supplementary gear... just that I need to drink enough bottles of wine till winter comes :)).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 1 gallon paint can inverted on each ov my new hives this year feeding 1:1 sugar water while they draw out the comb.
This will require one extra piece of plywood the exact size of your box. The hole in the plywood is about one inch smaller that the circumfrance of the can. I drilled about a dozen 1/16 th inch holes in the cover for them to eat/drink from. One of my hives drinks a gallon a week. The other two about half a gallon. I don't want to keep going into the hive more than about once a week so this way works great for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts