Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, I'm going to split each of my triple deeps tomorrow (rain today) into (3) 5 frame nucs and make the mother colony a double deep with 5 new frames. I've never used the inverted jar (mason jar) feeders and each of the old nuc boxes (from previously bought nuc colonies now in 10 frames) have holes drilled in the top cover. They all have jar lids plugging a drill hole which were from (I assume) jar feeders when my supplier made up the nucs. I'm not sure if they have holes, maybe the holes that small I just don't see them but I need to get some mason jars anyway and the originals are dirty and probably plugged anyway. What size holes should I drill or punch and how many? Planning on using a 2:1 syrup. Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just a prick with the tip of a nail. The holes have to be very small, but you should still be able to see them. Less than 1 mm for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As stated above, very small for sure. I use a 1/16 bit and drill from the outside of the top to the inside so no sharp edges. This size is good for 2:1 in fall down to 1:1.5 which I'm feeding now for comb building.

·
Registered
82 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
562 Posts
You don't need a lot of holes, three or 4 in the center is all. If your hives are not fairly close to level holes around the outside can be enough different in height that air can go in the high ones and syrup drain out the low side. On a strong hive they can clean it up. On a split or nuc it can make a mess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use an ice pick. Barely penetrate the lid, just so that you can feel the point of the ice pick sticking through. 3 or 4 holes is plenty. Quart or 5 pound mason jars work very well but I prefer an inverted 1 gallon bucket over the hole. Don’t have to fill it nearly as often.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,157 Posts
I learned from Bob Binnie that you don't need a lot of holes. On my queen castles I run a single small hole from a small nail in a picture frame hanging kit.

On my nucs I'll use two holes.

The goal is to simulate a flow which stimulates production. If they take the syrup down too quickly they usually just store it.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,542 Posts
Someone on here suggested a staple thru the top and then pulling it back out. It seems easy to do and works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts