Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been seeing these large dark bodied bees entering the hive all afternoon. One or two every minute. They're distinct in their loud buzzing and larger and dark bodies. They seem to be entering unimpeded by the guards, but when shocked this one to better identify it they pounced on it and quickly threw it off the entrance. I don't believe they're drones (I keep Carniolans) but I hope I'm mistaken. Any thoughts Honeybee Bee Insect Membrane-winged insect Organism

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Bumble? I have noticed bumble bees entering and leaving hives without being messed with. Last year I saw the biggest bee I had ever seen just fly straight in. Try making the entrance very narrow so it is just a honeybee high or add a robbing screen.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Hold one by the head, let it start trying to fly, and squeeze, you will discover their purpose in life. :eek:

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Uh, looks like a carni drone to me. Carni drones are all black, unless there is something mixed with them.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Cool video. Although some might consider it to be a little graphic. And yes, we know what happens when you squeeze a drone!

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
If it's not a drone honeybee, it's certainly the best imitation i have ever seen ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much for the replies. They definitely are drones and caught me somewhat off guard. I don't see the drones from this hive very often and I believe that the new queen must have gone on a mating flight..
Daniel

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Can't prove it one way or the other but I believe the drones hang around the hive before the actual mating flights. See the evidence of that best in nucs. Always found that a bit odd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts