Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok So I added another box on to both my hives. Plan was to leave them alone for a week to 10 days and then check to see if they were drawing it out. So in the mean time the weather report said 102-109 temps for this weekend. SO I became worried about the heat of the hives and water.... so I went and got a water source (in addition to the one I already had) well in the mean time here is what I discovered that has me concerned.

First Situation: I went into the hive and in the top box (the newly placed one) there were some bees up there and a very minor drawing going on (one frame). So my first question about that is should I move up some frames to help them go faster? and if so which ones?

Second situation: removed the top box and did a frame by frame inspection everything looks great (my youngest son got to help smoke and saw some bee births:D) then I saw two or three very odd shaped cells. They were not oblong, it was just on one individual cell in several different places but the capping on the cell was sticking way out beyond the rest of the capped cells. I scraped one of these off and there was some larvae in it but it looked very large. I left the other couple alone.

Third situation: I decided to remove the board in my screened bottom board. Just thought it would help things be a bit cooler for this weekend. As I inspected the plastic insert I thought I saw something crawling :scratch: looking closer I noticed several worms........ small very thin white with brown heads inching along. So what type of creature is that? I wondered if it could be a horse fly (whatever) since when I went into the area there were several flying around????

This was pretty rough on me being a new mom and all that I did not even go into the other hive guess I will do it this week if I am emotionally able. :eek:

Thanks for all the wonderful wisdom

Kelli

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like shb larve.Have you seen any little black bugs running around?The other cells sound like new queen cells.If they are pointing down thats what they are.copper287

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Kelli
1) When I add a second brood box I like to move up a frame of brood. This brings the bees up and thy start drawing out the wax.

2)It sounds like the odd brood you are talking about is Drone brood. The drones are larger so there cells are larger and taller.

3)The worm you are describing sounds like Small Hive Beetle larva. The crawl out of the hive, burrow into the ground and morf into Beetles (AKA. SHB)

·
Registered
770 Posts
If they have started drawing comb they should move up. They could be drone cells. Did you notice any moths when you removed the board.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Way to go Midwife! Things are coming along. Boy you got some heat wave going on there. If there is no water nearby leave them some water in a bucket with a few sticks floating in it.

Situation 1: Yes you can bring up a couple frames of brood. This will help speed things along a bit.

Situation 2: Sounds normal... those cells are drone cells.

Situation 3: Sounds like wax moth worms. If there`s only a few, the bees will take care of them. Keep an eye on it but don`t stress over it. Your hives are a shelter for the bees but other critters will try to take advantage of it too. Normally, bees can tolerate a few visitors here and there... but if it`s a weak hive keep an eye on it.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Small "wasp nests" on the comb it is queen cups.
What looks like rough "ice cream cones" are queen cells.
Cells that basically look normal but bulg out further than the rest are drone cells (sounds like what you described) - sorry can't come up with an analogy for them :)).

No idea baout the worms - do shb have brown heads?

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Pic of a SHB Larve.

SHB

·
Registered
302 Posts
Good pics Hambone.... Ive never seen a SHB larve, got to love the forum, always learning.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I'm sure it has a more technical name then hair.:D But that sounds good to me. I could be wrong but I bet they use those to feel their way around since I am sure they have poor eye sight.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so what I know know is that those are drone cells....... they were not pointing down, no ice cream cone look to them. Thats why I was thrown off.... did not think drone would be that large.

The worm hum.... no absolutly no bettles, I look all over everytime I go out. On the ground, legs of the hive and inside. There were only a few and they were very small. Actually look more like an inch worm and certainly move like one. I appreciate the picture but I honestly cant say oh that was it. Mine was longer and skinny (anorexic SHB?) hehehe

Thanks again
Kelli

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Once wax moth larva get to any size at all they turn to a grayish color. SHB larva stay basically a whitish color.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No moths. Just some pretty big horse flys. I did not worry about those though because I had some at home too (several blocks away).

Do we have shb in this part of Texas? I guess I will have to ask one of the locals........

Thought I read about they were mainly in more humid areas.

Is it ok to leave off with the plastic insert on the bottom board for a bit ir should I put it back on for monitoring purposes?

Kelli

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Open the screened bottom board and leave it open, in that heat the ventialtion will help.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
SHB larvae are smaller and more squirmy than wax moth larvae. SHB larvae will make your combs looks slick and slimy and wax moth larvae leave the siilk trails through the combs and the dish-shaped cuts in woddenware. SHB have 6 prolegs and the heads are distinct and darker than wax moth larvae heads. SHB are creamy colored wuth a reddish-brown tint to the head and wax moth larvae are more leathery and gray-ish.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I wont be sure unless I actually find a beetle. The worms you are describing are not like what I saw. There were no "prolegs" they looked more like a pin worm with a brownish head.......

Needless to say I murder them little suckers!

I will sure be keeping an eye out for them.

Kelli

1 - 18 of 18 Posts