Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay- weird question. I am purchasing some nucleus hives in deep hive bodies. Currently, I run 8-frame mediums on all my hives.

No big deal, I would just use these two deeps as the base on two hives, with the remainder of the boxes all mediums. But, I need to purchase a few extra deep frames to fill out the brood box (3 on each hive). If I purchased plastic frames/foundation, would the bees draw out these frames? Or, would they just skip these and move up to the top box and draw out the foundation.

The only reason I am asking this is that my experience has been that the bees draw out the foundationless frames first, the foundation second, and I have heard that sometimes it is hard to get the bees to draw out plastic foundation unless there is no other alternative.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
If I purchased plastic frames/foundation, would the bees draw out these frames? Or, would they just skip these and move up to the top box and draw out the foundation.
Quite likely they will do a bit of both, it will depend on strength of hive, nectar flow etc.

To me, I don't think you should put another box on top while you are still trying to get the nuc to draw comb in the bottom box, get the bottom box mostly finished first, then add the second box.

Another thought is you could stay with all mediums simply by cutting the bottom part off the frames that come with the nuc so they are reduced to medium depth. To do that, put 2 medium boxes on the bottom board then install the nuc into it with the rest of the frames being mediums. After say, a month, when the bees are fully established, take the deep frames out, shake the bees off and cut down the frames, and remove the now empty bottom medium box.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
I mix them all the time. You just have to understand their preferences and plan what you give them accordingly.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfallacies.htm#waxplastic

Myth: Can't mix wax and plastic.

This is not so much a myth as an over simplification. Putting undrawn plastic in with undrawn wax is like putting a piece of cherry pie and a bowl of broccoli in front of your kids at the same time. If you want them to eat the broccoli, you should wait to put out the cherry pie.

If you mix wax and plastic foundation, the bees will jump on the wax and ignore the plastic. If you put in all plastic they will use it when they need comb.

There is no great impending disaster if you mix them. They just have their preferences and if you want them to follow your preferences you should limit their choices. Once it is drawn comb or comb that is being used, you can mix it freely with everything with no problems.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I mix plastic nad foundationless in some of my hives., and not in others.

The foundationless is drawn out by the bees first.

Some of my hives don't do well with plastic, drawing burr comb on the face of the foundation and just generally making a mess... i don't use plastic in those ones for that reason.

Others draw it out fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have provided frames of plastic in a few hives where the bees drew adjacent comb too far toward the plastic for them to be able to utilize the plastic frame. Bee space was not vertical and working the frames was near impossible without rolling the bees. Other hives did ok, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts