Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this interesting video of a beekeeper and his setup in Slovakia, you can't understand a word he says, but is worth the watch. Pay particular attention to how he gets the bees off the combs that he will be extracting. Never seen anything like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPEpdyR_PQ]

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Was that killing the bees when he was taking them off like that?

Nevermind I am still watching it. I see them in there alive now. Cool.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Great video. It makes sense how he is removing the bees. In a closed in trailer it makes sense to do it this way. Really water white honey.

And you really couldn't understand what he was saying?? :D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>Was that killing the bees when he was taking them off like that?

That's what I thought too when he did that, it looks like a rough way to remove bees from a frame in my opinion, I wonder how many get killed and wounded with that gadget. I don't know if that thing is home made or bought, but it sure works.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>What you couldn't understand him?

If you could understand him, please tell me what he said after he dumped that yellow tub of bees back into the hive, and about a thousand of them immediately flew up in his face? I'd really like to know.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Really water white honey.
The honey is Acacia. In Europe Black Locust is called Acacia. It's the same tree as our Black Locust. The tree was imported from North America to Europe hundreds of years ago. And it thrives there, growing in dense groves, so much so that it could be considered invasive. I have never seen Black Locust in the USA bloom as profusely as it does in Europe.

By the way, the beekeeper is Slovakian, not Slovenian. Both countris speak a Slavic language, but the two languages are quite different, like German and English are different even though they are both Germanic languages.

Great video. I would like to have that electric bee brush.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I would like to have that electric bee brush.
And, here it is on the UK Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Beekeeping.-E...00202?IMSfp=TL100202198002r5897#ht_500wt_1182

And the seller states:
Fully tested in the field for the past 3 years, possibly the best piece of beekeeping equipment I have ever had in 35 years of beekeeping.

The Queen can easily pass through the soft brushes with no damage. The bees fall into a collecting bucket underneath and cluster together. You can then spray them with 3.2% Oxalic acid with no damage to the brood, to kill any varroa if you want, the bees are then tipped back onto the top of the frames and are unharmed.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The Video was very interesting -- I suspect that alot of these bees are injured/dead with a brush spinning that fast. But if the honey flow is over, then it may not be that big a deal.

But I was more interested in the building contraptions. They look like shells that are hauled on trailers. Are these commerically built in USA?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I wonder if you could build the same thing using a bee brushes instead of the plastic that he is using to brush the bees off. I think the softer bristles brushing the bees off would cause less harm to the bees......What a great idea though!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts