Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went into a hive of my fathers and the first thing we see is a capped queen cell, and no upcapped brood. Next frame capped brood and a capped queen cell, no uncapped or eggs. Next frame ditto. Following frame has an uncapped queen cell. My father asked could we do anything with the queen cells, so we go looking through the hive for a queen. Two frames later we find a virgin, and she was piping on the frame. She must have just hatched out before we got into the box since the other queen cells appeared to be completely intact. We put her, some brood, honey and pollen in a box with a couple more shakes of bees. Hopefully it will all work out!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Had the same thing happen earlier in the year, I just left her and she tore down the cells. Shes now mated and one of my most prolific layers. Good Luck. G:thumbsup:

Copy of DSC04589.jpg

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mother in this case was a package queen. She was a decent queen, but I'm suspicious of package queens. A little happier with a daughter since it will be locally mated.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Mine was a package too, and she also was a fair-good layer, I was actually surprised the superseded her so quickly. they let her fill the frames, and, out the door! G

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice photo! I hope it works out for him, there are still lots of drones in the air, so it should be easy for her to mate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts