Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bee Apiary Beehive Membrane-winged insect Pattern Wood Box Furniture Bee Insect Furniture

Just purchased two colonies from a former commercial Beek. When I arrived to inspect the colonies I noticed a hive top spacer with a plastic sheet hanging out. Initially I though hive top baggie feeders, but upon further inspection I noticed it was just that, a sheet of plastic, with a piece of 1/4" Styrofoam insulation and then a transport cover. When I asked about the purpose he indicated that it helped keep up the brood temp and humidity. I have never seen this although I do have limited experience and there are a lot of things I have not seen. Has any one ever seen this or tried this before. The colonies are healthy. It is my understanding that it is generally practiced to increase ventilation not decrease it.

In the end, I understand the bees know what is the best climate inside the brood chamber and will adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Was the sheet for transport, or kept in 24/7?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I've used plastic sheets as a "inner" cover under migratory lids. I didn't have any mystical purpose other than I got tired of them gluing the frames to the cover. *grins* The plastic is easier to remove since it just peels off.

It also became a fun time activity for killing SHB. The bees would build little beetle jails on top of the frames and glue it to the plastic. Since the plastic was clear and no bees could get up there. It was easy to smush them with the hive tool. *evil laughter*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts