Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beek here. Just installed two hives 8 frame mediums. Been about 3 days since package install, went to check on and remove the cap from the queen cage so the gurlz can start chewing their way to queenie (kind of following instructions on backyard beek book).

Configuration: using the internal float feeder, on top of that is the cover (I understand no inner cover is needed when using the internal float style feeder).

At any rate, hive #1 seems agitated. The smoke didn't make them move at all, just increased their buzzing by a lot. I didn't notice them trying to attack me. Their behavior on the queen cage itself looks aggressive toward the queen. I suspect she's basically hurling insults at the workers like "just you wait until I get out of here, I'll show you what-for...". In addition, this hive had most of the bees all on the top cover, and were building burr comb there. I removed the burr comb, removed the cap from the JZBZ cage so the bees can start chewing on the candy, refilled the feeder with sugar water, and brushed the bees from the cover back onto the fram, and closed up shop. Has anyone noticed this type of behavior? I would have thought the bees would be trying to draw out the frames more rather than try to build comb on the tiptop of the hive. Weather has been decent this week - 60s-70s daytime, high 40s-low 50's at night.

Hive #2 looks more of what I would call 'normal' - bees aren't looking to fight with the queen, and they appear to be milling around on the frames - I took the cap off of the JZBZ cage there, will let the girls chew through to the queen this coming week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar experience with today's inspections.

I took both supers off one of my hives and cleaned the screened bottom board. Once I started pulling frames though the entire hive started buzzing. I decided to leave them alone. I'm not sure what it was they didn't like. My other hive acted normal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts