Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an insurance company that writes a liability policy for a beekeeper with 10 or fewer hives. I have a quote from the Texas Insurance Company that was listed on the website of the American Beekeeper Federation. Their policy seems to be primarily for commercial activities.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why do you even think you need insurance? second if your a hobby beek your homeowners insurance may cover you if you think there might be a "litagation"

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a special policy through Farm Bereau for my bees. When I first contacted them, they wanted to also unwrite my homeowners policy. But, when the agent showed up and saw all my junk, he said they would skip the homeowners policy. :eek:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Beeslave, problem with that is if you sell dollar #1 of any products, your homeowner's policy will not cover you. If you never plan on selling a single jar your homeowner's will do just fine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My aim is to establish a few hives in a location away from my home. Hence, my homeowner policy would not be of help. My homeowners insurance company declares that beekeeping is a high-risk activity and will not write a supplemental liability policy that would cover beekeeping. They opined that they would review my rates the next time my policy is renewed and that they would have limited liability for a claim involving bees located at my home. A lot of people seem to be relying on their homeowner policy for coverage. That might not be a good bet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
are you a member of a local beekeeper assosiation??

here in the UK if your a full member of the local assosoiation your covered by the groups liablity insurance for up to 6 hives, then you can buy additional cover at £1 ($1.50) for every hive there after...

not sure if they offer the same sort of thing with the assosiations over the pond but worth finding out if your not a member of any yet.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If you want the liability insurance because of the risk of being sued from someone getting stung and the bees are not at your house the umbrella policy should cover it. I went through this with my insurance company. I was told I would be covered even if the bees were not at my house.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts