Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some heavy duty plastic pallets that I set on cement blocks and then my hives on the pallets. Here in Michigan, our winters can be pretty harsh. So while at Lowe's today, I seen the blue 2 inch thick insulation board that sells for like $39 per 4x8 sheet. Do you think this insulation board is weather proof? I was wonder if there would be any winter advantage if I were to cut out a piece of the insulation board the size of a bottom board to place between the hive bottom and the pallet? I was even thinking of placing a piece of 30# black roofing felt over the insulation just in case the insulation board is susceptible to weather deterioration.

This would be for my new hive starts that I'd be taking from nucs to 10 frame deep equipment. Getting the bottom insulation set while they were empty now saves having to do a lot of lifting later this fall. My intentions were since I also now would have the bottom insulated, I might as well do three sides and the top for winter. The front I could cover with a piece of the 30# felt.

I know some folks use the insulation board on the sides of their hives for winter protection, I'm wondering if it would pay any dividend to do the bottom also?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I am sure it would have some effect but the main area of heat loss is on top and upper sidewalls of the hive. That is where the warm air is. Below the frames the temperature quickly slopes off to very near the outside ambient temperature. Since heat transfer is proportional to temperature differential With only a small temperature differential there is little opportunity for savings.

Foam degrades quite quickly when exposed to sunlight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts