Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried something new yesterday. I was in a hive that had several plastic foundation frames that just never had any way drawn wax on them, other than a couple of knobby blobs of cells that did no one any good.

I thought about it, that since my new medium frames that I bought,with a double wax, are all being drawn out immediately, that maybe it was jus the waxing. I grabbed several handfulls of junk wax from cleaning and scraping hives that have been collecting in my hive toolbox. mushed it into a hard ball, and proceeded to rub it all over the undrawn frames to give it a waxing coat and smell like wax, honey, propolis, and all things bees.

I was near that hive, so I peek at the frames and most of them have got some start going on drawing out some comb... not much, but I can see the start of it. So very pleased, as this is in a nuc that is waiting for a QC to hatch, and doesn't have a hughe amout of resources, other than a good flow right now.

Just another trick up the sleave for any beekeepers.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've done similar with clean, new wax. I then just barely melted it in place with a propane torch. Don't go too much, or you might warp the plastic foundation. If I had a nice, even heating chamber like a toaster oven, I'd like to give it a try. My mentor uses molten wax and a paintbrush. I tried it and then heated it to just barely melting. Some frames get drawn out entirely, some patchy, some get rejected. I don't yet know the formula, but i think it has to do with how much melting took place. A little bit seems to work best.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I have tried melted wax with various application devices. I recently used wax that I had rendered into an ice cube tray and rubbed it over the foundation. I found that I used a lot less wax and it stays on the tops of the cells. Not sure yet how they will draw it out but it was certainly a lot easier and to the eye more effective.
For brood frames I used wax that I didn't filter so well so it has "stuff" in it. For the honey frames, I used my clean wax. J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts