Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing two packages of bees this Saturday, in the past I have always installed nucs. After watching a few and by a few I mean about 30 different you tube videos about installing packages a few videos said that you need to place the hives at least 30 feet apart?. I had never heard this before I have a stand that is 14 feet long and will hold six hives. if I install on either end they will have better than 10 feet between hives will this suffice to stop serious drifting? After the install I usually close the hive down until the next morning and then open the entrance reducer to the smallest slot and have some grass or a small branch in front of the opening for the first day so they take an orientation flight. When I install the packages they will be on 3 frames of drawn out frame one frame of honey and a 1 gallon frame feeder in spot 1 the other frames will be a frame with extra wax foundation. I am hoping this will entice the bees to stay and be happy. I also have screened bottom boards that I will have covered. I also will be installing the queening her cage in the middle of the built out frames. When I do install I plan on pouring out what ever bees will fall out of opening and then place the screened container on an angle inside a deep super top with inner cover and cover and leave them bee for 3 days. If anyone has a suggestion or comment I am all ears

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Put the hives where you want them. Install them right at sundown so they won't have time to drift too much. In other words, between sundown and dark you have an hour to get the job done. If the weather is nice, you could stuff some grass in the entrance to slow down any drifting. My hives are all touching and I have installed a lot of packages in one yard in one day. The only real issue, of course, is drifting. This can actually get very bad if they don't like the queen they have. I have often found only the queen and her attendants left in the hive with all of them moved next door without her. That's the reason for doing it right before dark. Don't wait until it IS dark. The bees will crawl and sting too much when it's dark because they can't fly if they can't see and they don't see well in the dark.

http://bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts