Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, the first week in May I pick up my nuc, I've done a bit of reading, watched a few videos, and have instructions from the hive maker, does anyone have any tips, and does anyone go without using a smoker ever? For the feeder I read 1 part sugar to one part water, how about adding some honey to the feeder, and how much? Thanks, Ed

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are using new foundation then I like to feed them. I use 1 to 1 with a little honey b healthy. Nucs are gentle, but I like to use lite smoke. You could try it, but I would have a lit smoker close by. I also have a spray bottle, and lighty spray the new frames with syrup and hbh.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
You should always* have your smoker at the ready - you still get to decide if you need it/want to use it or not. Experienced beeks install nucs in under two minutes and with the smallish population of a nuc one often doesn't have a reason/need to use smoke. * I sometimes break this rule and most times regret it. Sometimes the smoker goes out and I want to finish a job I have started. Other times I figure its 10 degrees out and I'm just putting fondant on - I'll have the hive open for maybe 15 seconds. Always have your smoker ready to go - and that includes having a method of relighting at hand.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would say it depends on the bees, weather, and time of day during install.

If you have a docile breed of bee (Carniolan) and are installing them on a nice day - you shouldn't have much problem. Don't hold me to this, every hive is different.

Keeping the smoke lit and nearby is always a good idea, so it's there when you need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts