Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be working 7 12 hour days during the month of April. I have packages to be picked up early April. I work 6:30 AM to 6:30 PM. Can I install the packages after 7 PM or so?
Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
If it is still light out sure:D! If it is dark I have never tried it but I am sure there is a way some where. Maybe by just taking the queen and putting her between the frames and leaving the open package in a box above your intended brood nest and letting them come out on there on. Then go back the next evening to remove the extra box and hopefully empty package.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but I just had to say You are the man. 84 hours a week and you still make time for the bees. Don't know if you are married with kids but your April would make a lesser man cry. Good money though, I am sure.
Do you work at Ashland Chemicals?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"Late afternoon early evening is the best. They will settle in quicker and have less drifting."

Take a look at your sunrise [7:30-7:00 AM.] and sunset [8:00-8:30 PM] times for April in Kentucky. You should have a window of light there to install packages. How many packages? Getting off work :rolleyes: a little early would be nice :), or you could save the packages for a day or two [feed syrup/keep cool if needed] if you have a "short" day sometime during the week.

·
Super Moderator
6,176 Posts
I installed three last year just at dusk. Actually had a hard time seeing the bees on the last one. It's "do-able". Late in the day is actually pretty good for installing packages.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Copied from another thread

01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Brenda

Re: there is more than one way to hive a package
I prefer to just set the opened package cage inside the super and hang the queen cage between the frames, come back in the morning and they are all out. Just remove the package shipping cage.

This is easy and easy on the bees and You

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I posted for my son who is at work right now. He works for Marathon/Ashland Oil as an electrician. Overtime is nothing new for him. He is a OT hog. I am a 71 year old with some medical problems that make it hard to breathe whenever I do much work and the bees will be downhill from the driveway. I can do it, just takes a while for me. I have a new Ultrabreeze jacket I need to try out anyhow. We were concerned because the bees get mean if they are disturbed after dark.

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts