Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may know that my hive tried a supersedure in February that failed. The resulting queen did not get mated and the bees chewed open the other 2 queen cells. This has left me with a drone laying queen and egg-less colony so that they cannot raise a new queen. (I only have one hive at the moment. Will have more this coming year, so this doesn't happen again).

I was able to contact the California queen bee supplier that I already had an order in with for this spring. They are shipping my order today, so I will have 2 queens by tomorrow. Now the questions:

The hive currently has the drone-laying queen that isn't putting out good pheromones, so this morning I added a QMP lure to calm them down. Does the lure need to come out tonight, so the bees more readily accept the new queen tomorrow?

I'm not sure if the drone-laying queen is actually still in the hive. Does she need to be removed tonight, if she is still in the hive? Or can I just find her tomorrow when I hang the cage of the new queen?

Since my order was for 2 queens, I'm going to have to split my hive. That will basically give me 2 nuc size colonies. They have plenty of pollen and capped honey, and each nuc will get about 2 frames of capped worker bees. Do I need to move one of the nucs to another yard, since some of these bees will be the foragers that return to the original site/hive/nuc?

I have the option of either dividing my TBH into 2 sections with separate entrances or doing 2 separate boxes. Which would be the preferred way to go?

The weather is fantastic today, mid 70's. Tomorrow afternoon when I install the queens, it might be raining but it will still be warm. I plan to install, even if it's raining; but do I need to hurry? Or since it will be warm (mid 60's), it won't matter if the bees are a little wet?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>The hive currently has the drone-laying queen that isn't putting out good pheromones, so this morning I added a QMP lure to calm them down. Does the lure need to come out tonight, so the bees more readily accept the new queen tomorrow?

Yes.

>I'm not sure if the drone-laying queen is actually still in the hive. Does she need to be removed tonight, if she is still in the hive?

Preferably.

> Or can I just find her tomorrow when I hang the cage of the new queen?

Tonight would be better. She needs to be removed. Sooner is better.

>Since my order was for 2 queens, I'm going to have to split my hive. That will basically give me 2 nuc size colonies. They have plenty of pollen and capped honey, and each nuc will get about 2 frames of capped worker bees. Do I need to move one of the nucs to another yard, since some of these bees will be the foragers that return to the original site/hive/nuc?

Set each nuc up facing the old location. Leave nothing at the old location. Returning bees will have to choose.

>I have the option of either dividing my TBH into 2 sections with separate entrances or doing 2 separate boxes. Which would be the preferred way to go?

Hard choice. In the end I would like two separate boxes and it's easier to start with what you want in the end than change it later... But it's nice to do two boxes to deal with drift. If one of them looks like the old hive and one of them doesn't it may affect the drift.

>The weather is fantastic today, mid 70's. Tomorrow afternoon when I install the queens, it might be raining but it will still be warm. I plan to install, even if it's raining; but do I need to hurry? Or since it will be warm (mid 60's), it won't matter if the bees are a little wet?

Time is too important to hurry...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts