Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello , In an attempt to save some money I'm going to try to make my own honey bucket w/ a honey gate. I've never installed a gate on a bucket b-4 and I'm not sure how to make it fit into the side of a round bucket and not have it leak , any help or thoughts would be very helpful. Thanks!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I use a 1 3/4" hole saw to drill the hole. Then I use a Dremel tool to clean up the opening just a bit, so the honey gate will fit. They tell you that it fits a 2" opening, but I find that to be a little too big. I dip both sides of the honey gate in water to lubricate the O-rings and then tighten it by hand. I usually go back and tighten it one more time after the bucket has had a chance to flatten out. No leaks! Make sure to keep the hole, far enough off the bottom of the bucket, so the flange of the honey gate has enough room for you to install it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How long did it take to receive them? I see that they come from Hong Kong.
It seems to me it was around ten days. I just bought some other 'free shipping' items from Hong Kong that arrived in six working days. On the other hand, I've had other items take up to three weeks to arrive from there. But I've always received my stuff eventually -- never been burned.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
stuff from hong-kong varies in time quite a bit but I often get stuff quicker than advertised. if the shipper does not get it out the door it is the same everywhere. if the order is over $200 watch out for broker fees. years ago I got wacked over $ 125 extra in broker and bond fees for an order with 18 cents duty due.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I did a few buckets not long ago. Can't remember where I got the gates from but they leaked. When I took them apart, the gasket was really thin and I think it crumpled a little while I was tightening it (I probably should have lubed it with water as mentioned above). Went to the hardware store and bought "fatter" replacements and all was well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
..............the gasket was really thin and I think it crumpled a little while I was tightening it (I probably should have lubed it with water as mentioned above). Went to the hardware store and bought "fatter" replacements and all was well.
I found the same thing. While the o-rings in the ones I got were not thin, they were quite soft. I made the mistake of letting the valve turn a bit while tightening and it pulled the o-ring out of alignment. Backed off the nut, realigned the o-ring, and it was fine.

By the way, the plastic nuts require a 2 3/16" wrench. I didn't have one that size, or even a crescent wrench that will open that big. You're not torquing down the head of an engine here, so I made one out of a piece of hardwood on the bandsaw and it worked just fine.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Best not to try to locate the valve too close to the bottom. It leaves a lot more stress in the plastic as the valve attempts to iron a flat on the pail when you tighten the nut. I have ordered a Syracuse valve for bottling as they cut the flow off cleaner and dont slobber afterwards. They are 4 times the price though.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I put one of those ebay honey gates from China on my extractor. So far, so good. :)

FWIW, one of the honey gates came without both 'O' rings. I can live with that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts