Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm newbeeguy and glad for this site which is great. I am only interested in building hives one at a time, as a hobby woodworker. I have run a search under the term installing foundation, but got no results. so, I looked at a thread on how to assemble frames, and found that instructive. but how does one install foundation in the frames?

·
Registered
635 Posts
There are a number of ways to install foundation. These vary wildly from simply NOT putting in foundation, to securing cleats, and wires. If you describe a little more what you're trying to accomplish, i think others could be more helpful. Personally, i have only used plastic foundation and foundationless frames. I'm in the minority in that i make all of my frame components, so my personal experiences probably won't help you too much. I simply make the frames as I need them to be.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Depending on what foundation you want to use can effect the kind of frames you get . They need to work together so installation is easier .You will see things like wedge top and grooved bottom there all for specific foundation . So after you decide what kind of foundation you want to use then get the frames that go with it .

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
highly recommend cross wiring if using wax foundation in deeps. otherwise the some combs may be warped, garbage imo.

stay away from slotted bars....use groove or wedge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the links esp. My frame plan calls for 1/8 in grooves (like dados) in the center of the inside surfaces of the top and bottom bars. I don't know what wedge or slotted bars are. I will be making my own frames, not buying them pre-made, as I am a wood working hobbyist, not a beekeeper per se. This hive is for a friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts