Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be year three of installing packages in my TBH. I had an idea the other day and don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Your thoughts please:

Do your thing with the queen (I suspend the cage from a bar, on a string, about seven bars in and about six inches down).

remove bars equal to the width of the package. remove the feeder, flip the cage over so the opening is now facing down and the only way the bees can go is down into the hive. The cage is longer than the hive is long so it will be supported. you may need to have some spacers to close any gap in case the fit isn't exact. They will crawl out and after several hours I should be able to remove the now almost empty cage.

Anyone see a problem with this? - Mike

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'll be installing my first package into a TBH in two weeks and I think that's a great idea. I'm undecided whether to tie the queen cage to a top bar or just lay her cage flat on the bottom board (screen side up with candy side cork out).

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
Shake them in and be done with it. You want them to move in. To move in they need to see it as a good home. How is it a good home with a big opening at the top where you are waiting for them to move in? If you won't shake them in, then put the open box in the hive and close it up and remove the box the next day.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It sounds like a reasonable approach, and I understand correctly you will be able to leave the package in the hive, close it up, and wait for them to move in. However, to Michael's point, why not shake them? Or do both, shake them to get the majority out and establishing the hive and then leave the package as described while the stragglers find their way out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Should I attach queen cage to a top bar? The cage would be crooked because of the triangle comb guide. Or just set the cage on the bottom?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Should I attach queen cage to a top bar? The cage would be crooked because of the triangle comb guide. Or just set the cage on the bottom?
I am having trouble finding out how to post a question, Help would be appreciated. I wish to install two packages, and split off a measure of each, into a Nuc, with a Queen. Will this work, I like the idea of getting three hives.:)

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
>Should I attach queen cage to a top bar? The cage would be crooked because of the triangle comb guide. Or just set the cage on the bottom?

The bees will cluster at the top if it gets cold. The queen will remain on the bottom because she is caged and die. I would just release her and be done with it. Dump in the bees. Pop the cork and put your finger over the hole (on the non candy side if there is candy) and set the cage on the pile of bees and let go. Put the bars back in. Make sure the queen is calm at that moment, in other words, don't do it right after you shook the workers off the outside of the cage and got her agitated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts